In June 1939,
Grumman intended to update their J2F Duck biplane to an all-metal
as a replacement for the United States Navy.
The aircraft was assigned the G-42. However due to increased production
pressures for other Grumman
fighter aircraft, the
project of prototype and test was
turned over to the
Columbia Aircraft Company which was already under a production contract
for J2F-6 Ducks.
Three prototypes, XJL-1 were finished in 1946 and accepted by the Navy
1n October 1947. One was used for destructive strength testing and two
The aircraft did not live up to the expectations of the Navy with
repeated structural failures of various parts reported during testing.
Testing was abandoned in 1948 and the aircraft were stricken from the
Navy's inventory in 1949.